Advocates for Children and Youth is a statewide nonprofit that builds a strong Maryland by advancing policies and programs to ensure children of every race, ethnicity, and place of birth have the opportunity to achieve their full potential.
We are looking for an experienced communications fellow to help us increase our social media presence on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook; supplement and create social media graphics to make complex issues plain for everyone to understand; and connect local, regional and rural reporters with our policy directors on issues we are championing. All this work will happen during the 2020 legislative session which runs from January to April 2020. However, the fellowship will end in May. This position is headquartered in Baltimore City but will require that 50 percent of the time be in Annapolis. This part-time position will be 8 hours per week on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday and carries a stipend of $1,500 or class credit(s).
Fellows are an integral part of our team, and they work on developing social media content and tasks that are critical to our digital and press communications strategy, including:
• Assist communications director and policy staff with creating engaging videos and graphics.
• Social Media: The fellow will help develop daily content to advance Advocates for Children and Youth’s social media and networking presence.
• Relationship Building: The fellow will help refine media lists and help increase ACY’s presence in Annapolis by sharing information with reporters on the latest policy developments.
- Must have reliable transportation to go between Annapolis and Baltimore no more than twice per week
- Candidates must be a college junior, senior or grad student with an interest in and knowledge of the intersection of public policy and statewide politics, with design, journalism, or multimedia.
- Creativity: the fellow will partner with ACY staff to develop interesting ways to share complex policy ideas in digital formats. That can run the gamut from designing social media graphics to making a custom GIF or developing a video script to explain a new policy idea.
- Ability to prioritize/handle multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Strong computer skills, with excellent proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word. Must be proficient in graphics software such as Adobe Illustrator or Canva.
- Fellow will report directly to the Communications Director but work closely with the policy staff.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume and samples of your work to email@example.com by January 31, 2020 by noon EST. In the subject line put your last name and COMMS FELLOW. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Advocates for Children and Youth is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws